Who is Melbourne Quantity Surveyors (MQS):
Melbourne Quantity Surveyors (MQS) is a small firm founded on the need for independent professionals to assist in providing cost advice at all stages of the construction process. From initial feasibility and masterplanning, through to construction and completion.
With over 13 years’ experience in Quantity Surveying and construction, on a wide variety of projects, MQS is well established to provide sound measurement and cost advice across a broad range of project types and sizes.
At MQS, our aim is to provide independent, professional and affordable construction cost advice, contract administration and management.
MQS is passionate about providing a fresh approach, and sound construction advice to ensure key project specific goals and milestones are met, while minimising risk and maximising project value for money.
What is a Quantity Surveyor:
According to the Victorian Building Authority:
“A registered Quantity Surveyor is responsible for estimating and monitoring construction costs for all classes of building and types of construction.
Quantity Surveyors read and interpret construction documentation (architectural and engineering plans, drawings and specifications). They also apply knowledge of construction methods and materials to estimate and monitor costs, from concept design to completion.
In the pre-construction or design phase, Quantity Surveyors may prepare cost plans for concept design, design development and construction tender documentation.
They also help prepare tender documentation (Bills of Quantities, or schedules of rates) and help evaluate and select builders.
During the construction phase, Quantity Surveyors monitor expenditure against budgeted categories, and assess and report on how project costs are affected. They may provide monthly cashflow forecasts and approve monthly progress payments.
At the completion of a construction project, Quantity Surveyors may produce tax depreciation schedules and replacement cost estimations for insurance purposes. If necessary, they may also support mediation and arbitration processes.”
Who should use a Quantity Surveyor:
It is commonly recommended that all construction projects should have one or more experienced, registered and insured construction professionals to help manage the construction project and mitigate the associated risks.
Quantity Surveyors can assist in establishing accurate project budgets, reduce financial and non-financial risk, assists in mediation and avoid unnecessary and costly disputes. Engaging a Quantity Surveyor from the fledgling stage of a project ensures project costs and budget are at the forefront of all correspondence while minimising risk and project cost.
Melbourne Quantity Surveyors (MQS) offer a wide range of services to assist in this process. From feasibility and master planning, through to construction and project completion. Some of the services MQS offer are:
- Design/Pre-contract cost planning: Establish a realistic budget that is consistent with the project scope.
- Tender analysis, negotiation, selection and contract advice: Assist in Tenderer selection whilst allowing in-depth comparison and analysis of a submitted tender/s.
- Post-contract/Construction administration and management: Ensuring all payments, variations and contract adjustments are in accordance with the contract, plans and specifications, as well as additional variations to the contract.
- Dispute mediation, resolution, and expert witness reports
- ‘VBA Registered Building Practitioner’
- AIQS Members
- ACN: 635 662 725 ABN: 96 635 662 725
- -Professional Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance
- Our Firm has developed a quality assurance system which is based on the requirements of Australian Standard AS 3902